We have reopened with limited hours and services!
The Newman Riga Library is happy to announce that we can have opened the building with limited hours and services to patrons. Additional hours and services will be gradually phased in.
Safety Protocols (based on recommendations from the CDC, New York State and the Monroe County Department of Health)
- Face coverings must be worn at all times while inside the library. To accommodate anyone who is unable to wear a mask, curbside delivery will continue to be available.
- Observe social distancing guidelines.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided at the door and throughout the building.
- Plan your visit and limit your time in the library.
- Materials cannot be returned inside the library. Please use the book drops at the curb and near the front entrance (DVDs, Books on CD and CDs.) Note: all items returned will be placed in quarantine for 3-5 days before removed from your account.
- Limit the items you touch within the library and place those items you do not wish to check out in the appropriately marked bins throughout the library.
- Curbside pickup (same hours the library is open)
- Book drops open for returns
- Browse shelves and check out material
- 2 Public Computers available for 30 minutes
- Copy, fax and printing services (staff operated)
- Reference services
- Pay fines
- Get a library card
Services Not Available at this time:
- Seating and tables
- In-library shared material such as newspapers, magazines and toys.
Curbside Pickup Information:
We will continue to offer Curbside Pickup even though the library is open for limited hours and services.
Here’s how it will work:
- CHOOSE YOUR ITEMS
Search the catalog to see what items are currently available at Newman Riga Library: https://catalogplus.libraryweb.org. Note: there is a limit of 3 items per card. We cannot place holds from other libraries at this time.
- CONTACT THE LIBRARY
Call the library (293-2009) during the following hours:
Mon, Wed, Fri: 12-4
Tue, Thur: 12-6
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include your name, phone number and card number in your email with your wish list. Enter “Curbside” as the subject.
- FINALIZE REQUEST AND SCHEDULE APPOINTMENT
Our staff will attempt to take your requests, find the items, and schedule your pickup time while you are on the phone with us. We may have to call you back for more detailed requests.
- PICK UP YOUR ITEMS
Arrive at the library during your scheduled time. There are parking spots reserved out front. Bring your library card or valid ID (i.e. driver’s license) to show to staff in your car window. Staff will place your items in your trunk or opened back seat window. Staff are not able to accept your returns so please place them in the book drop.
NOTE: All returns must go into book drops. Please drop them in after the staff member has returned to the building.
The Newman Riga Library is an Association library and a member of the Monroe County Library System, located in the village of Churchville, New York, approximately fifteen miles west of Rochester. The library was built in 1952 due to efforts of Floyd Newman, a philanthropist and native of the village.
In 1989, Mr. Newman, along with other area residents raised funds to add a major wing to the library effectively doubling its square footage. Originally located above a Hardware store across the street, where all 2800 volumes of books were donated and workers were volunteers, the current staff supports a library of approximately 20,000 volumes. The annual circulation approximates 25,000 annually and serves a community of 5400.
The library building was dedicated to the memory of Mr. Newman’s father, John, his mother, Hattie, and his sister, Ruth on October 17, 1952.
The original collection of popular fiction has grown to include many other forms of media. Today, the library boasts Internet access, Books on CD, DVD’s and more. An Electronic Doorway library, it still offers a personal touch to its largely pedestrian village patronage.